Pages

Monday, October 28, 2013

The Costumes


Presenting our 2013 Halloween costumes (eek!  I originally wrote that as 2012!  I need to get in the right year before it changes again)!  The girls and I have been reading the Pippi Longstocking books, which they adore (and which make me laugh really hard and also cringe a little bit, because that Pippi is a naughty little thing!).  When we were deciding about Halloween costumes, Zosia and Lily agreed that they both wanted to be Pippi Longstocking-- definitively and absolutely.  One trip to the thriftstore for a blue tablecloth later, I was sitting at the sewing machine with an old smock pattern, trying to come up with something sufficiently Pippi-ish.  I dressed up as Pippi Longstocking when I was a girl, and remembered the old pipe cleaner in the braids trick, and just like that we were in business!  The girls have had such fun running around in their costumes, and I have a feeling they will be in them just about all week.

Hugo, on the other hand, wanted to be a firefighter, which he more or less dresses as every day.  For the sake of variety, we convinced him to put on one of our dino costumes from a few years back, which we wore very well for all of 15 minutes, before he decided he would rather play in a big pile of leaves with all the other two year old boys.  Maybe we'll have more luck on Halloween night.

This Saturday was our big neighborhood Halloween party, and the official kickoff of Halloween week. There is a "Let's Pretend Parade," a Halloween party, and of course Halloween night!  Zosia, Lily and I have been trying to explain to Hugo what trick or treating is all about.  I really think he's going to love it this year, but it's sort of a funny thing to explain.  Knocking on neighbors' doors to receive candy?  It is too good to be true!

Me: Hugo, on Halloween, we will be wearing our costumes, and we will go next door and knock on the door.  What will you say when Mr. Brown opens his door?

Hugo:  Hi?

Hm... we're going to have to work on this.  I have a feeling that he's going to catch onto it pretty quickly.

1 comment:

Melissa H-K said...

Love the Pippis!

I'm also amused at Hugo's "hi"—it's probably better than what I heard one carefully coached child say. The child, of course, had been taught to say "Trick or treat!" What he really said was this: "Gimme candy!"