Pages

Monday, September 26, 2011

Natural Fruit Fly Catcher

What is it with this time of year and fruit flies? No matter how quickly you go through your fruit, they seem to appear, seemingly out of nowhere. Years back, Ben and I learned this quick, natural, easy way to ELIMINATE your fruit flies, and it's so effective, I thought I would share it here.

You will need:
a cup
a piece of paper
a piece of tape
some water
some vinegar
some dish soap

That's it!

Make a little funnel out of your paper, simply by rolling it up to a dime sized point on one side (fi you look at my picture, you can see what I mean). Tape in place with your piece of tape.

Now, put about a quarter cup of water in your cup, followed by a quarter cup of vinegar (we used cider vinegar, just because that was what was on hand) and a teaspoon of dish soap. Mix together gently.

Place your funnel on top of the glass, and viola! I keep mine next to our fruit bowl, and you will see that in a few hours time, the liquid will be filled with with flies (yuck! But better than circling around your fruit), and within a day, the fruit flies will disappear all together. Definitely one of my favorite natural home fixes.

7 comments:

Mackenzie said...

I do a version of this...and need to do it again. :) Over the weekend my house was taken over with house flies! I have killed 10 of them so far and they're still everywhere! I have no clue why...ah well, the mysteries of homemaking I guess. I'm so glad I found your blog!

Ms. T. said...

We do this too! Now here's where we need some good, natural advice: How do you get rid of ants? They're taking over our kitchen. Besides religiously cleaning the counters and removing any loose food particles, we're at a loss. Help!

Adele said...

Mackenzie, I know! The fruit flies just appeared overnight here, too... I have a sneaking suspicion they may have originated in the grocery store. Michelle, I found this webpage with some natural ant remedies:
http://smallnotebook.org/2010/04/21/5-simple-natural-ant-control-remedies/

You'll have to give them a try and let us know which work best!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tip! You are so right, but I never noticed it was seasonal.

One and Doll said...

Its the lack of funnel- that is why whis has never worked for us...this time with the funnel- amazing...

Anonymous said...

I thought I would share how I keep fruit flies away from the get-go. As long as I have a potted basil plant in my kitchen, I NEVER have fruit flies. As soon as the plant is gone, I run in to trouble. I had read about this tactic in a magazine and it has always worked for me. Just thought I would share.

Rebecca

Adele said...

Brilliant, Rebecca. Prevention would be so much nicer! I am giving it a try.