Pages

Monday, May 31, 2010

May 31: In Search of Summer



Outdoor concert season is upon us, and we kicked it off at Wolftrap this Saturday listening to a Prairie Home Companion. My favorite parts: sharing a blanket with some strangers who generously welcomed us into their space (whew! That lawn sure does get filled up!), a delicious meal prepared by my sister including chocolate cake made out of beets, playing footsie with Ben, some amazing bluegrass music, and then arriving at my parents house to pick up the girls to discover Lily fast asleep on my mom's chest. And, of course, Garrison Keillor-- whew, that man can make me laugh.

Once upon a time, many years ago, my family lived right up the street from the park, and I remember sitting in the front yard with Ben listening to the concerts. Then again we went there as newlyweds to see this same show-- Prairie Home Companion-- just be fore we embarked upon our journey to Boston. And now, here we are, young parents, sneaking away for a date. I think these seasonal rituals can be such powerful benchmarks of where we have come from and where we are going... they just give such a beautiful rhythm to life.

Don't forget to check out how others are celebrating the season! I've been enjoying everyone's entries.

7 comments:

Ren- Lady Of The Arts said...

so i've notice the blurry photo feature- is this something you've been playing with?

Adele said...

It's a different lens-- a "lensbaby," which sort of skews whatever isn't in focus. It was a birthday gift from Ben and I've been playing with it the last week or two... I'm sure that as I figure it out, I'll switch back and forth more with my 50mm.

Lauren Oliver said...

I love the new lens effect- very cool- especially like the photos of the flowers and the sprawling tree! Thanks for letting us join in the magic of your sights!

Victoria | Hibiscus Bloem said...

Bare feet on a summer evening - perfect. Sounds like a lovely time was had and definitely an annual event for you two I think.

Unknown said...

Sounds like such an awesome summer day.

Ren- Lady Of The Arts said...

Never heard of 'lensbaby' I have SO much to learn about photography-

emily said...

i love wolftrap!!!