Pages

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Pink Milkshake

I like to think that we don't sneak things into our children's food... too often. But I just couldn't pass up the opportunity this afternoon when Zosia requested a "pink milkshake" at lunch. I made one for myself, too. It was delicious, and I think that Zosia thought she was getting away with something. But I didn't mind, although I think that to keep up the jig I'm going to have to pretend I don't like her eating it too often.

Pink Milkshake
1/2 up frozen berries (we used cherry, blackberry, raspberry and blueberry mix from TJ's)
1/2 cup whole milk
1/2 banana (room temperature)
1 large tablespoon ground flaxseeds (we put this in almost everything around here... oatmeal, muffins. Definitely something worth keeping in the pantry/fridge)
1 tablespoon honey

Blend, and enjoy. I'm already scheming about what other things I can throw in there. How do you like the sound of an avocado shake? I've heard some wonderful stories about tricky Popsicles (thanks, Ella) with fish oils. Maybe that's my next frontier.

7 comments:

Jennifer said...

Yum! That sounds like it should be my breakfast!

sara said...

In case I haven't said it before, I ADORE your daughter's name. We are trying to come up with something perfect for our girl on the way so I'm noticing these things a lot more lately. :)

Adele said...

Thank you! It's actually a name she inherited from her great-grandmother, a nickname for Zofia, which is the Polish version of Sophia-- which means wisdom. Good luck with your name search. It's fun, but challenging, isn't it?

Michelle said...

I make tons of smoothies for my little girl and have recently started adding a good sized handful of fresh spinach into my mango/banana smoothie and my strawberry/banana smoothie. It turns them a lovely shade of green, which is perfect for spring and you really can't taste the spinach.

Adele said...

Thank you for the tip, Michelle! I think I might give this a try-- for her as much as for me.

Kerry said...

Yum! We had purple milkshakes (smoothies) for breakfast yesterday. A similar recipe with a few twists... homemade yogurt, skim milk, frozen berries, banana, flaxseed (we use it in everything too!) and some wheat germ. Yum!
I've heard that spinach is good to try, glad to know that Michelle recommends it.
I've also heard that red bell peppers go well with strawberry smoothies... I've yet to try it though!

Adele said...

Kerry, wonderful ideas! We love red bell peppers around here and I can't wait to try it out.