Pages

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Home Garden, Take 2



Ben and I have had some success with a home garden. In Boston, it worked like magic, complete with salad greens, cucumbers, tomatoes, herbs. Here in Virginia soil it just hasn't worked. We tried last summer, and I am sad top report we had little success. Was it because the soil here in the forest is too acidic? Was it because we don't get enough sunlight? Was it because I was sleepily in love with a newborn and too distracted to water the garden?

We are trying again this year, and I am full of optimism. Ben has built me a raised bed that we placed in the single spot that gets full sun all day. We have enriched the soil with lots of compost and good things, and the whole family is involved in caring for the garden (as you can see). So far, we have only transplanted our strawberry plants from the backyard. We may aim low this year and just complement those with some tomato plants. I'm excited! Could it work?

What are you planting in your yard? Any success or failure stories?

XO
Adele

Sorry I've been a bit absent lately... life has been FULL around here-- the type of full that happens with two kids running all around the place and spring in full bloom. And, in the interest of full disclosure, a bit crazy. I hope you all are enjoying it as much as we are!

5 comments:

Christian - Modobject@Home said...

Oh, I've been itching for a smallish backyard vegetable garden for a few years. Your's is the perfect size. There won't be one this year, for I am sleepily in love with a newborn, but maybe next year. This spring I'll be doing good to fill my pots with blooming flowers.

Adele said...

Yes, believe me, I understand! And what a beautiful little face to fall in love with... I'm so happy for you!

Kerry said...

We're trying for our first garden at this home this year. We'll be building our raised beds in the coming weeks and adding our compost. We'll see how our little experiment works! The last time I had a garden it was wonderful until the summer it was woefully neglected as I kept my swollen feet up and dreamed of my first baby-to-be. Five years ago now...

Margo said...

sighhhh I'm envious of your beautiful raised bed. We just do not have enough full sun. Last year I did tomatoes in 5 gallon buckets to try it out and we barely got any tomatoes. I can do herbs, so I stick to those and try not to envy people with sunny spots.
I hope it goes well for you!

sarah anne said...

Hi Adele,
I've just happened upon your blog and I love the simplicity of it. The thoughts you put down are gentle and inspiring. I have been planning our garden as my husband just built us some raised beds. 4 to be exact and I fear that I have taken on more than I can handle. Oh well...sink or swim i guess. I'm hoping to get some kale and the usual tomatoes and peppers but I've also decided to get some accompanying plants to help keep the pests away. we'll see...enjoy your gardening!