Pages

Thursday, March 18, 2010

March 18: In Search of Spring


I think that something from my upbringing by two European parents must have stuck... In our home growing up, there were few things more certain than the fact that the house would get aired out. Every day. Rain or shine, winter or summer, the windows came open for at least a good half hour-- longer, weather permitting. I'm not quite that die-hard. If it's cold outside, I just keep the home sealed up and step outside for some fresh air. But when it's warm enough that I don't feel like I'm sacrificing precious heat, I *love* opening all the windows in the house. This is the first week this year that I've made a practice of it-- going around and opening all the windows for the morning, closing them in the afternoon. I love when the curtains blow in the wind, how the house smells so fresh, and how I can hear all those little outdoor sounds that I'm usually oblivious to. I don't even mind the fact that my toes get a little chilly from all that crisp air.

I think I'm ready to say that spring is here! What do you guys think?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh I am loving this weather and having our windows open too. It feels so good.

sara said...

Yes!!! Opening up the windows is one of my absolute favorite things. I too, love how the curtains bellow out with the wind and sometimes keep them pulled shut so I can see them blowing even more! Enjoy the warm breeze--we will as well.

Anonymous said...

Love having the windows open! Just wish I didn't have to be so vigilant about possible intruders. :(

Vicki said...

I am ready to open every window. Tomorrow morning - here we come. I'm grateful my husband has taken to opening a bedroom transom. Cold and brisk and fresh.

Anna said...

Bring on the spring and the open windows!

I love airing out the house. And...where are your parents originally from?

Justine said...

I did that yesterday too! But it's supposed to snow this weekend. What can ya do?

Except to really enjoy the moment. This one in particular, where the sun is shining and the fresh spring air finds its way to you through the little nooks you have created for it.

Jennifer said...

I adore the breaths of sunlight coming through the windows on a warm spring day! Beautiful imagery!

Adele said...

And today was another "open window day." So refreshing! Anna, both of my parents are from Poland (hence the pierogis tutorial!).

Kerry said...

Oh I love airing out the house too. In the winter, I have to do it when my husband isn't home. He is one to worry about wasting heat (actually wasting money).