Pages

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Morning Muffins


One summer when I was working in the city, I used to stop off in a local bakery every morning and pick up a cup of coffee and a "morning muffin," which was a delicious carrot-raisin muffin that made me not mind being up at an early hour in the least (and this in college, mind you!). And they were substantive enough to keep my filled up until lunch, and healthy enough to not make me feel too guilty.

Yesterday morning I readied a few ingredients so that Z and her aunt could have a cooking adventure-- shredded carrots, shredded apples, flax seed and oat bran among several others-- and these "company muffins" match and even exceed my memories of morning muffins. I grow more and more impressed with my go-to cookbook each time I try a new recipe. So here it is for you to enjoy!

1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup oat bran or rolled oats
3/4 cups brown sugar
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
In a large bowl combine and stir well.

2 tart apples (peeled, cored, and shredded)
1 1/2 cups carrots (finely shredded)
1 cup flax seed meal (or walnuts)
1/2 cup raisins
Add and stir to coat. Make well in center.

2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup oil
In a separate bowl mix together. Pour into flour mixture. Stir just until moistened. Fill muffin tins about 3/4 full. Bake in preheated oven at 375 for 18-20 minutes.

1 comment:

Margo said...

I have that cookbook too - don't recall this muffin recipe, though. What's it called in the book? I want to try it!