Pages

Saturday, June 20, 2009

Black Bean Brownies

I hope I'm not violating any nutritionist secret pacts by sharing this, one of our favorite brownie recipes from our beloved nutritionist friend, Lauren. It may sound wacky, but it's really amazingly good, especially if you put in some chocolate chips. Annie from Once Upon a Parent (who is a real life friend and not just a blog friend) asked me for the recipe this morning, and I figured that others might enjoy it as well!
Bean Brownies

1 cup black or Romano beans, pureed with liquid
1 1/2 cups sugar
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon salt
* 1 teaspoon baking powder (I add this)
1/2 cup canola oil
4 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
* ~1 cup chocolate chips (I add these)
Non-stick spray

Spray a 13X9 inch baking pan with non-stick spray. In a mixing bowl,
combine beans, sugar, flour, cocoa, salt (and baking powder). Add oil,
eggs, and vanilla. Beat on low speed or by hand, scraping down sides of
bowl until smooth. Stir in walnuts (and chocolate chips). Pour batter
into prepared pan, spread into corners and smooth top. Bake at 350
degrees F for 30 minutes or until tester inserted into center comes out
clean. Cool in pan on wire rack. Makes 24 servings.

NOTE: sprinkle with powdered sugar or ice if desired (I iced with
Nutella). An icing may be made by creaming together 1/4 cup softened
butter, 8 ounces cream cheese, 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder and 2
cups powdered sugar. Add 2 tablespoons skim milk as needed until
desired consistency is reached. (I have not tried to make this icing.
Other times, I have iced with a mix of store bought dark chocolate icing
and creamy peanut butter- delicious!)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Looking forward to making these. Thanks for posting and thanks for visiting today. We all enjoyed your company.

Lauren Oliver said...

I'm so honored you liked them enough to share!! My next conquest: lavender brownies. Since attending a lavender festival in TX and tasting amazing lavender lemonade and lavender- oatmeal- apricot cookies, I'm totally interested in experimenting with the edible flower. I'm even currently infusing sugar with lavender to use in recipes (on crepes?)...