Pages

Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Before we move forward



can I take a look back over the past couple of weeks?  There was quite a lot of wonderful stuff going on, and I didn't have the time or presence of mind to share any of it in this space. 

Our sweet Zosia turned seven, which is a really delightful age, if you ask me.  Sweet, curious, witty, clever and very fun.  She loves Harry Potter and has read through the first four books, only stopping because I wanted to make sure that the fifth book was age appropriate before I gave her the go ahead.  Ben and I have been trying to read along with her, but can't keep up!  Ah, to have hours for reading each day.  Anyway, when she was reading the first book and clearly falling in love with everything Harry Potter, I would be silly and try to get her goat her whenever she put her book down, asking, "How are the muggles?!"  At first she would sigh and try to explain that these books are not really about muggles at all, but about wizards, so she didn't know how the muggles were doing.  With time, she learned to just giggle.  Ben started in on the first book, at which point I lost not only my daughter but husband to the world of Hogwarts.  And then I realized, if you can't beat them, join them!  So we're all at various stages of reading the series, and enjoying them quite a bit, as I knew we would.  Zosia caught me reading the first book one afternoon, and just as I put it down, I caught her sly little smile.  "How are the muggles?!" she wanted to know.  Well played, my darling!

The day of Zosia's birthday we had cousins visiting, which I'm sure would have been celebration enough for everyone in the family.  We love Ben's brother's family, and it's always a treat to spend time with them.  But just because it's nice to have an excuse to get together with friends, we met up at a favorite park for cupcakes and nature exploration.  It was drizzling, which of course worried us adults as we were heading out the door, but in the end I don't think I fielded a single complaint from any of the kids.  Drizzling rain?  It's like the ultimate party favor.  A couple of umbrellas and a change of clothing did the trick.  Children are so wonderfully resilient.

My dad, one of the most active seniors I know (and I think he would frown at my use of the word "senior"), had a birthday, which we celebrated with frozen custard.  Northern Virginia friends, I think I might have found a competitor to our beloved Frozen Dairy Bar.  You have to check out Nielsen's!  It's really good!  

And while I'm taking care of family housekeeping, my beloved mother in law, known as Omi to us all (above with Zosia in the lavendar), just had hip replacement surgery yesterday.  She is doing well, but I know would appreciate prayers for a quick recovery!

Okay, I think that catches me up!  Onwards and upwards, my friends!

1 comment:

Sew Blessed Maw [Judy] said...

Zosia is a beautiful little girl too. Happy birthday to her..
and Will be praying for your mother in law. Hope she does well with the knee replacement, and is up and about real soon.. God bless.