This has been a great week for me because I have figured out a couple of things about this twin pregnancy thing: 1) I must eat a lot of protein in order to feel energetic 2) I must eat something, no matter how puny, every. single. hour. in order to feel energetic and 3) I must take prenatal vitamins including iron in order to feel energetic. After a few very slow, very lethargic weeks, it has been a complete breakthrough to feel some energy again! It has been wonderful. So, on this monumental round number of 20 weeks, I thought I would share some things that are pretty great about being pregnant with twins. Without any ado.....
10. You immediately skip over that awkward "Is she pregnant, or not?" stage and bound right into fully pregnant mode, which is so much more fun.
9. You get to join the sisterhood of mothers of multiples, which is a powerful bond! As soon as you mention you're pregnant with twins, mothers of multiples start to offer you their baby gear, their help, and their advice. You are officially in the club.
8. For the first, and possibly last, time in your adult life, you have the license to eat pretty much as much as you are capable of (especially early on), as early maternal weight gain is an important factor in the growth and birth weight of twins.
7. People immediately offer you a seat, pretty much anytime, anywhere. Twins are the magic ticket.
6. You have a really great reason to take a nap every day. And you won't feel lazy.
5. You get to feel the babies move earlier, and all the while imagine them having a wonderful time playing around in-utero.
4. You get to enjoy not only an enhanced baby bump, but other enhanced features aswell (ahem... women who have experienced pregnancy, you know what I mean).
3. People are so generous when they realize you are pregnant with twins. We have enjoyed the generosity of friends, neighbors, and definitely family members. It is a gift to be the recipient of such generosity, with the hope that we will be able to repay it in the future.
2. You get to enjoy the health benefits of having twins, including a longer life!
1. You get two babies out of this whole thing! Yes, your body is doing a lot of work, but being pregnant with twins is nowhere near twice as hard, and you end up with two new little members of your family. This is totally the bargain of a lifetime.
And we have some exciting news to share with you later this week. Our twenty week ultrasound gave us a little surprise!