Pages

Sunday, March 4, 2012

On a Sleepy Weekend Morning

When you wake up and notice that the clock reads 9:45, you can be pretty sure it is going to be a good day. Then when you look at the dining room table and notice that a cup of coffee has been prepared for you (just how you like it: warm raw milk, a little french press coffee, and a little sugar), you can really be sure it is going to be a good day. Breakfast for me, second breakfast for the kiddos, was nalesniki made by the girls and my parents yesterday (delicious!). Our favorite way to eat these, "invented" by my sister in childhood, is with a little sprinkling of sugar and some lemon juice. These are so tasty and not nearly as hard to make as you might think. I can't tell you how happy I am that these are getting passed down from generation to generation.

And Hugo is eating just about anything, so long as he can feed himself. He is flying through babyhood, this one! With eyes firmly planted on those big sisters of his, he seems to be taking notice of every little thing and trying it out for himself. He's so quiet and thoughtful, but I think he's secretly planning a coup to become the eldest in the family himself. I think Lily's working on that too, come to think of it. Good luck, kiddos.

4 comments:

Irene said...

Sounds like a wonderful start to the day. I also followed a strong urge to make nalesniki on Saturday, filled with homemade farmers cheese and topped with powdered sugar. The tradition lives on, indeed! Love you guys!

Adele said...

How funny! Nalesniki are in the air... and i bet you can get some authentic farmer's cheese, too.

Aindrea said...

That's how the Brits eat their pancakes! Almost as thin as crepes, and with lemon and sugar. They have a holiday called Pancake Day, which is Shrove Tuesday, the day before Ash Wednesday. Fat Tuesday, the last day to enjoy junk food before the fasting of lent begins! Thought I'd share :)

Adele said...

I love it! Nalesniki would make a fabulous fat tuesday meal, come to think of it. But then again, I'm always looking for an excuse to eat breakfast for dinner. :-)