Pages

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

The Nest

There are still a couple of months to go before the baby arrives, so it feels silly to be gathering the supplies for our nest, but here we are. The nest is slowly being built, twig by twig. Friends are returning items that were lent, hand-me-downs are being passed along, our own baby clothes are being thumbed through to see what can be reused. And, I will admit, Ben and I have both been guilty of returning from the store with a little item for the baby on the way.

I've been trying to do my research to catch up on cloth diapering: how could so much innovation have happened since I diapered my baby Zosia a few short years ago? What type of diaper covers should we buy? What type of system should we set up to keep them clean? (and yes, those of you with ideas and experience, view this as an invitation to share!). They're all details, but as we start to gather the supplies for our homebirth, the arrival of this little one is starting to feel so real.

So much will happen before the baby arrives: rooms will be switched, walls will be painted, diapering supplies will be washed and folded. And this little baby will keep growing until it's a plump little thing ready to hatch. But in the mean time, it is such a lovely sight to see a little bassinet filled with folded baby clothes, saving a place for that precious little member of the family that will so soon be in our arms.

8 comments:

One and Doll said...

Do you want your covers back? FYI- --we really like G-diapers. Just sayin! We could loan you some G-diaper covers in small...

Adele said...

Sure! I assumed they were still in use, but we actually still have all of our prefolds, so we just need covers.

eidolons said...

We use bamboo fitteds (with covers or longies) for our two boys. We've tried a great many kinds of diapers and these were just what work for us.

Johanna said...

what a sweet post. I'm excited for your little one to arrive. Have fun in the meantime preparing for his or her arrival.

Biff said...

Jon Petersik wrote a post about cloth diapers on his blog - you can check it out, and reader comments here: http://www.younghouselove.com/2010/08/the-much-requested-cloth-diaper-post/

I miss you guys!

Adele said...

Thanks for the tips, guys! I will definitely look into bamboo fitteds. Does anyone have any experience with buying used cloth diaper (covers)? Pros and cons?

Adele said...

Oh, and Biff, thanks for the link. A couple of people passed the same one along to me on facebook, and it is great!

Jennifer said...

I love these photos, how simple and clean. Giving in to nesting just feels so natural just before spring and fall to me, regardless of being pregnant. I can't wait to see how everything pulls together for you!