Pages

Friday, June 18, 2010

Peace Rituals


Whew! Has it really been almost a week since I've been in this space? Summer has a way of bringing in all sorts of currents of energy-- outdoor energy, creative energy, the energy of change (not to mention barbecuing energy, swimming energy, playing energy) . And I can sometimes get swept away by it all and find myself feeling absolutely pooped at week's end.

I have been trying to cultivate a sense of peace and presence amid such activity (above, my new morning ritual, complete with cup of coffee), and am finding myself yearning to create new grounding practices. I remember one summer, when I was newly in love with Ben, sitting outside at each dusk and drinking a cup of peppermint tea-- it was just the perfect way to breathe and return to center.

Now how will I do it today?

Or, better yet, how did you do it today?

6 comments:

Kerry said...

I love that you are doing this for yourself, and ultimately, your family too. I need to do this more often.

While I don't have a daily ritual, I have a weekly one. Most weeks, I take a walk in the woods one morning during the week all by myself. It is often exactly what I need, mind and body.

Adele said...

Kerry, that sounds amazing. I agree-- it can be so rejuvenating to spend just a few moments by yourself, or even in stillness when surrounded by others. A walk in the woods sounds just perfect.

Suz. said...

Lately, I've been sitting outside on the deck in the evening to watch the sun go down over the Rocky Mountains to the west of me. I may bring a drink or a bite to eat, but I've been regularly getting outside to see the spectacular evening light and views. I want to drink it in and be thankful for creation today.

Adele said...

Wow! "to watch the sun go down over the Rocky Mountains to the west of me" I can't tell you how beautiful that sounds! And to have a mountain view... what a gift.

Anonymous said...

Oh, just what I needed to read. I've been missing a peace ritual lately. Need to get back to it.

Johanna said...

Oh my! This is probably what I am missing most in my life right now. You photo just gives out a sense of peace when I look at it.
Hopefully once I get settled in my new environment I'll be able to carve out a little time just for myself.