Pages

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

A Little Free Art


When we finished our basement last spring, we realized that we needed something big to cover up an electrical box over our basement couch. With an extra sheet of drywall, some buckets of partially used paint, and a printer, we made our own make-shift artwork. I found some bird decals that I liked online (at Urban Outfitters... I don't think they carry them anymore), but wasn't willing to pay for them, so I just freehanded some, enlarged to various sizes on our computer, printed them out, traced them, and painted them on a background of my favorite paint color, silver sage.

In time, we found something more suibtable for covering an electrical panel, so lucky us, as of this afternoon we now have our little flock of birds over our bed. I'm hoping it gives me more dreams of flying.

11 comments:

Kerry said...

This is just beautiful!

ella said...

Do you still have the print on computer to share? ;)

eKay said...

I remember seeing that leaning up against the wall, it is so wonderful to see it bring life to your room!

Anna said...

Love, love, LOVE!

Adele said...

Ella, let me check it out. With my track record, it's probably no longer on the computer, but I'm sure I could scan something similar and post it here... give me a couple days.

KnitterMama said...

I think we have those same decals for my son's wall! And yours are a near exact copy.

Jennifer said...

Darling! I've wanted to do something similar for my daughter's room, but with butterflies. I love that blue too!

Christian - Modobject@Home said...

Oh I love it. Nice work. I'm thinking a lot about wall art these days... we have several rooms in need and only a small budget.

Anonymous said...

Love the decals. I am so uncrafty - but that looks like something I could handle!

Oregon-Mama said...

We are thinking about repainting our bathroom and I love that color! You mentioned Silver Sage - which brand of paint did you use?

Adele said...

We love it too: I recommend it! It's Restoration Hardware paint in silver sage. We actually have used both silver sage and light silver sage, and both are very soothing, calm colors. Here's the link:
http://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod1161246&categoryId=cat1017001