Pages

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

February 3: I love



cutting the hair of my sweet and patient family members. It started as a way to save some money when Ben and I were living on a tight budget, but, despite a few bald spots and knicks, we found that it is a wonderful experience for all involved. I love everything about it: the sound of hair getting snip-snipped, the opportunity to feel every spot of his head; the fact that I now know exactly what it feels like to give him the right haircut, the dining room chair pulled onto the tile kitchen floor; the fact that not only does he take off his shirt at the end of the haircut, but he then sweeps every last hair off the floor.

Our children were born into this haircutting arrangement, and therefore, until they are old enough to object, will be the beneficiaries of their mama's haircuts. This afternoon was Zosia's turn, and she sat as patient as can be until I was all done. The fact that she was snacking on a chocolate chip cookie didn't seem to hurt.

More love here.

6 comments:

Kerry said...

I grew up with my mom cutting our hair. I tried it with Henry until I nicked his ear a tiny bit on his second cut. After that, I was done! (I am still know to work on my own hair from time to time though!)

KnitterMama said...

I used to give my daughter her cuts and then everyone made so much fun of me that I stopped. And I must admit, they were pretty awful. You must be pretty darn good if you cut your husband's hair. My hubs would probably let me but I am scared! What a neat experience for your whole family.

Adele said...

I have, admittedly, an accommodating husband who is very un-self conscious. Otherwise, I'm sure our hair cutting arrangement wouldn't work... there have (recently) been a few haircutting mistakes that another man might not tolerate!

Irene said...

Adele is being humble. She gives great haircuts! :)

Adele said...

I also have a very accommodating un-self conscious sister who tolerates my haircuts. But she generally makes them look good.

eKay said...

I have been luckily enough to receive one of these fantastic love filled haircuts. And I hope it is ok to speak for all of Adele's customers when I say that there is just as much love emanating up from our scalps as there is love in those steady and creative hands!