Pages

Monday, October 26, 2009

Starting Plants from Cuttings Update


Remember when I tried to start my own ornamental plants from cuttings as yet another attempt to live on the cheap? I promised an update, whether good or bad, so here it is.

I'm happy to report that several weeks later, there are actually several survivors! Specifically, my sweet potato vines (which I like to put in my window box from spring through fall) have developed roots (evident by the fact that when I tug on them, they give resistance). Now they're ready to get taken out of their ziplock bag, placed in a sunny place, and watered periodically through the winter.

However, in the interest of full disclosure, some other varieties of plants did not take. The impatiens simply died, while the petunias are still alive, but have not developed a root structure.

I'm still pleased with the results. The root hormone I bought only cost 5 bucks, and that's about what one sweet potato vine would have cost from the nursery. Plus, I still have plenty of root hormone left for future experimentation.

Did anyone else out there try this? Any luck?

No comments: