Pages

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Healthier Eating


I would say that all-in-all, we're pretty healthy as a family. We eat whole grains, lots of fruit, a decent amount of vegetables, and avoid pre-made snack stuff. But Ben's family has been on a nutrition kick that surpasses our lifestyle by, like, a mile. It looks something like this: lots of "healthy fats," from fish, avocado, nuts. A lot of fruit, meat, and most of all, vegetables. And, (and this is the hardest part) no refined grains or added sugar. They love it, feel great, look great, and are very happy with it (and are not, incidentally, the type to buy into fad diets). I'm not quite ready to jump on the bandwagon, but I have definitely been inspired to make some slight changes in my/our family eating.

Most of the changes have to do with me, because I am all about giving Zosia some minor indulgences and keeping her eating flexible and adaptable. The main one, I will admit, is the sugar part. Because those of you who have eaten with us know that there is rarely a meal that does not involve desert. And I'm not ready to give it up altogether, but am realizing that it might be a good idea to cut it back a little bit-- especially since at times it feels like not only dinner, but every meal has a desert course.

Yesterday I felt like I made a lot of good food choices, including eating a piece of fruit for desert. But then I woke up in the middle of the night in a sweat feeling like I could eat our mattress pad. Apparently I was a bit over zealous on day one. Today, I feel like I'm enjoying my food and eating a lot of fresh vegetables. And I'm okay with the fact that I had some cinnamon ice cream with my neices and nephew right after we made it-- you only live once, right? I guess, ultimately, any lifestyle change just comes down to taking it one day at a time. And hoping that one day, it just feels normal.

No comments: