Pages

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Keeping a Schedule

In recent years, I have never really kept a set schedule. During grad school, every day was different, and I was happy to go along with it. There were certain things that were set in stone, like having dinner with Ben in the evening and taking Selma for a walk together, but the days were pretty fluid. But these days, while I have resisted having a really strict schedule, I do find that my days have a certain ebb and flow that is pretty consistent. A typical day might go something like this:

Morning:
Wake up, have breakfast, play with Z and get some chores done (occasionally baking bread), take a shower while Z enjoys some alone time or a video, snack
Late morning:
Get out of the house, take a walk, go to the library, coffee shop, store, or some other place, have a playdate
Mid day:
lunch, and then a nap (these days it's a nap for both of us)
Afternoon:
take a bath with Z, snack, do some work from home or around the house while Z plays, spend some time playing with Z, walk down to the metro to pick up Ben or drive and pick him up, make dinner
Evening:
dinner together, spend family time together, Ben puts Z to bed while I write or take Selma for a walk, hang out with Ben and relax

Having a baby around definitely puts you on more of a schedule (wake up times and nap times set a very concrete rhythm to your day), and I think I actually like this. I honestly feel like I might even enjoy having a little more of a set schedule to my days/weeks, but approach the topic with uncertainty. Does anyone have any ideas or advice about keeping a schedule?

No comments: