Pages

Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Joy



This past week we have somewhat substantially rearranged our house, attended each of the holiday events marked on our calendar, welcomed our first round of guests, and embarked upon the task of holiday baking.  The house currently smells like the poppy seed cake my sister baked with Zosia, Lily, and Hugo.  There are toys scattered here and there that my sweet sweet niece Grace was playing with just before they headed over to my parents' house.  There are closets filled with wrapped and unwrapped presents, and about three random things left on my shopping list, which is just as it always seems to be two days before Christmas despite my best intentions.  In other words, we are surrounded by such joy and life and beauty and imperfection, and I am grateful for all of it.

Sending blessings to each and every one of you this week.  May you feel the warmth of God dwelling among us, the promise of that first miraculous Christmas.  I hope to decorate the tree tonight, and can't wait to wake up tomorrow morning next to a husband who is officially on vacation (that is the best).  

***

And will you look at that, here I am, and it's Christmas Eve!  Lily made dinner for us yesterday: a spaghetti carbonara, which was so delicious that I will have to post the recipe here sometime.  I figured, with  all the holiday cooking going on, we might as well get the kids in on some of the action, and it was an absolute hit.  Lily can make dinner anytime, as far as I'm concerned.  

After the little kids were in bed, we finished watching The Nativity Story, and Ben and I made cookies and egg nog.  This morning, the kids and I decorated the tree.  The house will fill with family tonight, and I am really struck with just how perfect Christmas is with a household full of little children.  Messy, chaotic, loud, but absolutely perfect.  Wishing you Joy on this most joyful day, friends!

No comments: