Pages

Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thanksgiving Recipe



The table is set, the turkey is in the oven, and the house is clean. The girls spent the morning with their grandparents at the Smithsonian (to share a local secret: it remains open on Thanksgiving, although just about no one knows it does!). Zosia, Ben, and I are watching Mary Poppins (while Lily sleeps). And I for one can think of a hundred things to be thankful of right off the top of my head. What a truly lovely Thanksgiving.

I know today you all are busy baking, roasting, chopping, and mixing. But while I'm thinking of it, I thought I would pass along a favorite family recipe, one that just makes it feel like Thanksgiving for us.

Cranberry Bread

Recipe makes two (9x5) loaves or one large and three small loaves.

2 cups flour

1 c sugar

1 ½ tsp baking powder

1 tsp salt

½ tsp baking soda

½ c butter

1 egg, beaten

2 tsp grated orange peel

¾ c orange juice

1 ½ c golden raisins

1 ½ fresh or frozen cranberries, chopped

Sift dry ingredients into a large bowl. Cut in butter until crumbly. Add egg, OJ, and orange peel. Stir until evenly moist. Fold in fruit items. Grease a piece of brown paper and place in the bottom of the greased pan. Bake for 1 hour 20 minutes at 350°F for the large loaf pans, 45 minutes for the small pans. Cover with foil for the last 15 minutes. Cool 10-15 minutes before removing from pan.


Enjoy! And hopefully I'll be back a little later today with another little surprise.

2 comments:

Kerry said...

What a gorgeous Thanksgiving table! It looks just right for a feast and for a family! I am looking forward to trying your family's cranberry bread recipe. I have some just begging to be used. I hope you had a most happy and blessed day!

Aaron Van Dyke said...

What a beautiful Thanksgiving feast you've prepared. I especially love the apple name tags! Hope you and the family are well.