Pages

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

A Charmed Gathering

I often joke that our dinner plates don't resemble a true dinner in the least. Scrambled eggs, strawberries, and a piece of toast. Cheese, sliced avocado, and a burrito shell. The truth is, we don't mind-- we eat simply, and in a way that encourages our little ones to eat healthful foods. Simple foods go over well, are easy to prepare, so we enjoy them often. And eating basic foods is an easy way to cut out processed foods while sticking to a budget.

But, I will admit, I do occasionally like a true comfort-food dinner. It's my goal to have at least one meal a week that would be fit for company, whether we have it or not. There's something so magical about having a clean table that is properly set, with lit candles, and hot food when Ben comes home. This week we had Chicken and Rice Casserole, Carrot Raisin Salad, green beans, and Lemon Bars. Plates were licked clean, and tummies so full that we enjoyed a full-family sleep-in the following morning. And our time together just felt so... charmed. I think that sometimes little ones can sense that there's something different and their spirits comply.

How does dinner time work in your home?

3 comments:

Kerry said...

I love this! Dinners have become more simple out of necessity at our place. I love this idea of one night of candlelight. We may need to institute this at our house. It may be just the thing we need to make a Wednesday night a bit more special.

KnitterMama said...

This sounds absolutely lovely and extremely delicious. Our dinners are mostly simple and most of the time they look like dinners. Lately I have been trying to serve two green vegetables at night but this does not happen all of the time. We always sit down together and the table is rarely set. I have been thinking about how nice it would be to set the table for a Sunday "supper" after mass. Thanks for the inspiration to make this happen!

Adele said...

I also love the idea of a Sunday formal "supper"... which is getting more complicated now that I work on Sundays. Maybe a Sunday crockpot dinner?