Pages

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Nature Center









Ben was away on business this week, so us girls treated ourselves while he was gone. A sleepover with grandma, a trip in a friend's bike trailer for Zosia (oh, I can't wait to get one of these!), the nature center, and then Five Guys and the thrift store. But we were all nevertheless ecstatic when surprised us home a couple of hours early... it's just not the same around here without him.

I think that the nature center is my new favorite place to go with the kids... there's a wonderful indoor space with animals, nature books, and even a fort, a beautiful creek that is very play-a-ble for kids and dogs, and a native plant garden. And, how cute is this, they host special hike excursions for children who can ride in backpacks! Now I just need to find a backpack that can fit two kids...

(above: some photos from our afternoon, including an old stump, which was the object of our "lesson." Lesson: all sorts of animals love rotten stumps! Zosia's reaction: I wish that the tree would go back up again... )

6 comments:

Irene said...

Question 1: What where you doing up at 4:30am?
Question 2: Where is this place?
It looks so fun! I'm glad you all survived without Ben for a little while.

Adele said...

Sleeping, I think! Somehow blogger must think I'm in a different timezone or something. It's in Arlington, right off the bike path. You would love it! You should come next time.

Anonymous said...

Oh I have heard great things about that nature center from so many people. I wish I had taken the boys when were so close. Oh to be close again...

Annie

Adele said...

Maybe this summer, right? We'll have to go together! ;-)

Margo said...

that quote from Zosia about the stumps is sooooo cute!

Anonymous said...

I love how your children are color coordinated but not matchy matchy for pictures. :)

Didn't realize you were in my neck of the woods (well, not too far anyway). There is a great nature center in Baltimore too (Irvine) but good to know of other alternatives. I'll have to investigate this.