Pages

Friday, June 5, 2009

Setting the Mood


Lately I've been experimenting with setting a calm, peaceful atmosphere in our house. This is especially targeted at Zosia, who has the potential to be extremely centered or extremely manic depending on her mood on any given day. My latest experiment has been with lighting a candle around the house in the morning (which is our crazy time). Here you see Zosia still in her early-morning stupor eating something for breakfast. Whenever I light a candle, Zosia says "Happy Zosia!" which is her way of saying that she wants me to sing happy birthday to her. Which I do, and then explain that no, she cannot blow this candle out (incidentally, she does try to blow out everyone else's birthday candles... so beware!).

So far, so good. I think part of it is that it actually centers me, which means that I'm then a more easygoing person. But I really believe that something about having a candle burning keeps this family calm and grounded.

1 comment:

One and Doll said...

Man I love that little girl. . ..