Pages

Monday, April 6, 2009

A Taste of Summer


Yesterday I made some "Wild Blueberry Pie", which technically was a misuse of the big bag of frozen wild blueberries I bought (supposedly for adding to Zosia's yogurt... but how could I resist?) Anyway, it was amazing, and so I thought I would share the oh-so-simple recipe here. I've found that frozen wild blueberries are best bought either at Costco, or at Trader Joe's (they're a bit expensive anywhere else). I guess the best thing would be just to freeze the wild blueberries that you pick in the summer, but what can I say? Ben and I are slackers.

1 pie crust (make your own or buy a frozen one... which is what I did)
5 cups wild blueberries
3/4 cup sugar
2 T corn starch
2 T flour
1/2 t. cinnamon

1. Thaw blueberries on high in microwave. Drain, reserving 2 T of the liquid.
2. Mix sugar, corn starch, flour, and cinnamon.
3. Add powders to thawed blueberries with reserved liquid, and place in pie crust (technically, you're supposed to put another pie crust on top and cut slits, but we like blueberry pie open faced).
4. Bake at 400 for 40-50 minutes, or until center is bubbling.

See, isn't that easy? I made two and am keeping one for after the birth, although seeing as half of one is already gone (this counts as a fruit serving, right??), I'm wondering if the other is going to make it.

No comments: