Pages

Thursday, April 30, 2009

Co-Sleeping Resources

With Zosia, the extent of our co-sleeping was pulling her in bed in the early morning to squeeze out an extra couple hours of sleep. However, Lily has been more of a co-sleeper, which has meant that I have been going back and doing some research on how to co-sleep safely with a baby. Here are some resources that have been helpful:
As with Zosia, we're probably going to do a mix of independent sleeping and co-sleeping. These days, Lily starts out the night in her bassinet, which generally gets her through a good bit of the night. At her first feeding, I pull her into bed with me, where she stays until the morning. We still have to either get a bedrail or push the bed up against the wall so Lily can sleep between me and a hard surface (while some older babies co-sleep between both parents, most people seem to recommend against it, as dads seem to lack the instinctual awareness of the baby's whereabouts that moms posses).

I'm excited about the possibility of a more serious co-sleeper-- I slept with my mom and sister until I was 9 or 10, and some of my fondest memories are of our bed sharing. It would be wonderful if we could get Lily and Zosia to co-sleep once they get a bit older, and for now I'm loving co-sleeping with Lily. I'll let you know how it goes!

No comments: