Pages

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Multiplying the Loaves


Tonight, a miracle occurred at our house. I looked in the fridge and realized that to make it through to the weekend grocery run, I had to make an entire meal from an eggplant. Now, for some people that eat like little birds, this might be no big deal, but Ben and I are big eaters to begin with, and when I'm pregnant all bets are off. So, an eggplant would not usually qualify as a side, let alone a full meal. Mere seconds before giving up and deciding to go to the store, I decided on a whim to look into More With Less under Eggplant, and there was "Eggplant Parmesan."

We love Eggplant Parmesan in the summer, but at first glance it looked like we didn't have any of the ingredients. No bread crumbs, no tomatoes, no shredded mozzarella. But as I looked around the kitchen, I realized that maybe, just maybe I could make this work. First I took some sandwich bread and put it in the food processor for the bread crumbs... I had a little leftover pasta sauce in the fridge that would sub for the homemade sauce in the recipe... and finally we had some cheese sticks that I could shred up to put on top. We just finished dinner, and it was filling and tasty, and we actually couldn't even quite finish the whole dish.

So for the hundreth time or something like that, a situation in which it seemed like we had scarcity turned into bounty. Who says miracles don't happen anymore?

No comments: