Pages

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Simple Gifts

I loved the arrangement of Simple Gifts played at the Inauguration this morning. What a beautiful song to represent the hope that all of us have for the future of this world, and the joy that we share in this huge milestone that we have reached. I have always known this song as "Lord of the Dance," a song that is commonly song at Catholic churches. But upon researching the song's origin, I learned that it's a Shaker song whose original lyrics are different than the ones that I have always known. So, in celebration of this day, I though I'd post the original lyrics, as both a prayer and reminder of how Jesus taught us to live:
'Tis the gift to be simple, 'tis the gift to be free,
'Tis the gift to come down where you ought to be,
And when we find ourselves in the place just right,
'Twill be in the valley of love and delight.
When true simplicity is gain'd,
To bow and to bend we shan't be asham'd,
To turn, turn will be our delight,
Till by turning, turning we come round right.

1 comment:

One and Doll said...

Sean and I are just glad that Obama took a tip from our wedding.