Pages

Thursday, January 15, 2009

Simple Books


I must confess: I have a weakness for kids books. I was never that big of a reader growing up, so I think that these days I'm making up for lost time. I love Nancy Drew, Little House on the Prairie, and Box Cart Kids. I think that I'm going to be more into reading Zosia's kids books than she is. There's something so beautiful and great about the simple, straightforward style that many of these classic books have, and I'm a total sucker-- especially when I'm looking for a "lighter read."

So this week I added Louisa May Alcott's Little Women to my nightstand (along with The Shack, which I'm still finishing up, and a book about teen pregnancy and poverty that I can't wait to review here). Anyway, it's been the most relaxing thing to read at the end of an action packed day, and I love the cutesy message of domesticity and family togetherness that it promotes. Who doesn't love a story about a family sacrificing their own yummy Christmas breakfast for an impoverished family of six with a newborn baby? This stuff is great! And I love stories that center around communities of women caring for one another, which is exactly what you get with a mama and four daughters. Forget cutting edge literature, I'm heading for the juvenile fiction section!

No comments: