Pages

Tuesday, December 2, 2008

One of those Days

Man, I totally had a case of the Mondays today. Which is funny because yesterday, on Monday, I was the zippiest, cheeriest, most productive person ever. But today I woke up out of it, and felt like it was an epic battle with myself to regain a semblance of a normal day. Today's Nouwen reading was something about finding balance and meaning between extremes-- solitude and community, silence and sound, emptiness and fullness. Somehow I feel like I've gone between the two in just two days.

Lately, when I get in a funk, I've been trying my best to take some action to pull myself out of it. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't-- usually at the very least I feel like it shortens my period of grumpiness. Today, that meant going through the motions and hoping that eventually my spirit would catch up with my body... Making the bed was the first willful act of productivity, followed by taking a bath with Zosia, buying some Christmas lights, and later in the morning actually hanging up some lights. I must admit, there's nothing quite like Christmas lights to lift the spirits. Once I was hanging them up, I felt like I had arrived and was no longer a victim of my own day. Why is it that it takes so much work to just do the thing that makes us the happiest?

No comments: