What you'll need:
- 1 1/2 cups ground cinnamon
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1/4 cup white school glue (like Elmer's)
- Plastic food wrap
- Rolling pin
- Wax paper
- Cookie cutters or a knife
- Ribbon or yarn for hanging
How to make it:
- Mix cinnamon, applesauce, and glue together in a bowl. The dough should be as thick as cookie dough. Add a bit of water if the dough is too stiff.
- Remove from bowl and knead. Put it back in the bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let sit for at least a half hour.
- Remove the dough, knead again to make sure it's smooth. Flatten/roll the dough between waxed paper until it's between 1/4" thick and 1/8" thick.
- Cut out desired shapes, use a straw to punch a hole for the ribbon to hang. The circle of dough will pull out with the straw.
- Gently place the shapes on a piece of clean wax paper. They will take 3-5 days to dry, and you will need to turn them over a couple of times a day for them to dry evenly and flat.
Check out the full recipe at http://crafts.kaboose.com/cinnamon-dough-ornaments.html